Thursday, July 22, 2010

Sabbaticals

Last November I announced that I was taking a sabbatical from playing live music. The band I was in threw a retirement party for me. It was a great time. I've since then have sat in on occasion and filled in when they needed me to. The truth is that I just needed a break. I found myself tired all the time and had no time for my family or myself. A large part of it was because I also work weekends at my day job and then having to play at night til 2 in the morning just basically was wearing me out. I still miss playing at times and tho the money wasn't great, it was nice to have that extra bit of cash in my pocket from time to time.

Some of you probably wonder how one goes from playing live for most of his life to becoming a person who is rediscovering the remote in his living room. (Did you know you can order movies right from your remote? Frickin amazing) Anyway, the transition wasn't as hard as one might think. While yes, there were a lot of great moments, I think I'll miss the faces of people the most. The emotions of those connecting with whatever song we were playing, or the couple slow dancing and falling in love all over again. The power of music is truly an amazing thing. I have found that throughout my life, certain songs have gotten me through some rough times and lifted me up when I needed it. There are songs that, when I hear them on the radio, take me back to a special time or memory in my life, songs that always bring a smile to my face or in some cases a tear to my eye. I have always said that music is in my blood and I will play til I die. I will never quit. I think it's the same for all of you whether you are a musician or not. Music is in all of our blood. It is a part of our nature, part of who we are. Throughout the years, I have been fortunate enough to share what little talent I have with all of you. It has been my honor and privilege. Someday I may return to the stage, I don't know, could be sooner, could be later...I don't know that either. Right now, I am enjoying the time I spend with my lovely wife and family. I would be lying if I said I didn't miss it some, but honestly, times have changed. While I no longer seek the fame and fortune that I did when in my early years...(tho the fortune would be nice lol) I find that family is more important to me and my time with them is more gratifying. I have changed my priorities and found that my family comes first and my love for performing has taken a back seat. I still tinker around a bit in my home studio for fun but have come to the realization that while reaching for the stars I had neglected to see the lights that were already surrounding me. Sometimes, and I'm not saying this is for everyone, you have to step back to realize that what you already have is more important and greater than what you think you need. I'm thankful that I did before it was too late.

In summary, I may play again someday and I know that when or if I do, I won't lose sight of what is important. Never take things for granted. But who am I to tell you this. Some lessons we have to learn on our own. As far as the transition goes. it wasn't hard because once I stepped back, I found all the other things that I had been missing in my life and they were all there waiting for me with open arms. Life is good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

You Are 87% Grown Up, 13% Kid
Your emotional maturity is fully developed, and you have an excellent grasp on your emotions. In fact, you are so emotionally mature - you should consider being a therapist!
How Emotionally Mature Are You?