Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Why are we here?

Sometimes when someone you know passes, you take the time to reflect on your own life. You may question, who you are or why you are here. For me the answer was somewhat simple. I've been entertaining people for over 30 years now. If someone smiled or had a good time because of the music we played it was all worth it. But if you look a little deeper, it's more than that. A lot of the reason I entertain was for myself as well. Whether it be for the love of music, or for the recognition or in some cases, the insecurities and need to be loved. I have been blessed with a gift that would be selfish of me not to share it with as many as I could. I'm not saying I'm a great musician, because I'm not. But sharing the music doesn't just stop there. It's sharing your thoughts, ideals, visions and most of all, who you are. To me, how I am off stage is just as important as who I am on stage. On stage is almost an alter-ego. A madman bent on destruction and anger. I pile drive my bass into the drumm risier, smash it with my hand and belt out dissonant vocal harmonies. Off stage I am totally different. The real me comes out and loves to socialize with my friends. I am generally in good spirits at all times. I am always happy to meet new people and make new friends. All the friends I've had through life and not only been dear to me but have helped me evolve and grow into the person I am today.

This brings me back to my title subject. Why are we here? My answer to that question is that we are here to learn and grow and to become better people to set examples for the next generation. To teach them and help them grow into better people until the time actually comes when the world is more accepting of each other and our differences whether they be race, religion or whatever. There's so much anger and hatred spewed out in the world, I just wish people could look within themselves and start the healing there first. I was once told that you have to love yourself before you can love another. I found this to be true and the same goes with trust. It was a long road for me before I found this out but it is true. I've learned to appreciate everyone whether we agree or not, I can respect their opinions and ideals. I don't have to like them but I will respect them. I learned that it's not about me anymore but more about us as a human race. Be good to your brothers and sisters no matter what walk of life you are in, and they most assuredly will be good to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

You Are 87% Grown Up, 13% Kid
Your emotional maturity is fully developed, and you have an excellent grasp on your emotions. In fact, you are so emotionally mature - you should consider being a therapist!
How Emotionally Mature Are You?