Saturday, March 24, 2007

Hope he didn't have beans for dinner

Hockey is my favorite sport and playoffs are just around the corner. YAY!!! Anyone who knows me, knows I'm a huge Red Wings fan. This year is turning out to be one of the more exciting seasons we've had in awhile. People sooo under-rated at the beginning of the season with the loss of Shanny and Stevie Y. I, myself, wasn't too worried. I had faith that other players would step up and, guess what, they did. Took them a little while tho'.

Anyways, I won't go on about how great the Red Wings are. That could take a while to do. The purpose of this particular entry is to complain about media coverage of hockey. They say people just aren't into hockey as much as other sports. Well that may be true to a point but I also believe that they have a lot to do with it. For example: Just about anytime I go to Sports Illustrated online, there is rarely any top story involving hockey. Baseball and Football, even womens soccer, which at the time were/are currently in their off-season, are still getting more coverage than hockey. They rarely cover it on the front page until it's Stanley Cup time. ESPN won't cover any games, and the list goes on and on. Yes, I have my hockey websites bookmarked but that's not the point. If they want the sport to bring in more revenue, they have to give better coverage.

By comparison...IMO, Hockey players skate on average a speed of 30 mph and get rammed into walls, hit in the face with sticks, hit with pucks travelling up to 100 mph, go to the locker room and get sticthed up and return to the game.
Baseball players...on average get paid twice as much as hockey players, spend most of their time standing in the field, picking their jockstrap while wondering if the ball is going to be hit to them so they can fall down and make an easy play look like some spectacular highlight so they can ask for another million in their next contract. Don't get me wrong, I used to like baseball before it became all about the money. Of course all sports are all about the money but at the same time, I've never had to pay for an autograph from a hockey player, never had to pay admission to an autograph signing, may have to bring in a can of food or a toy for a less fortunate child but never had to pay an actual player. I just gets me irate when someone who makes more money than most us would in a lifetime, would take more money from us less fortunate, financially that is, It's not giving back to the fans if they have to pay for it.

K that was my rant for the day.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes! put the puck in the net! KICK HIS ASS! One of the reasons i stayed with my ex boyfriend so long was that we got tickets to see the wings when ever we wanted from his work. I got to see the wings up close like a bunch of times one year. i was all like, "he might hit me in the head with a car radio again, but maybe ill wait until this seasons over to make my break for it."

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The wings rule Go Wings!!!!

2:34 PM  
Blogger mangadezi-jr said...

my little monster starts skating lessons later this month. . . maybe he'll aspire to be the next Chris Simon?
I hope not--cousin or not, it's all about the skills . . . and following in mom's footsteps ; )

9:06 AM  
Blogger Hockey Monkey said...

LOOOOVE IT!

I certainly hope he didn't eat beans either, however - it makes this picture SO much more pleasurable thinking that he might have, in fact, had beans for dinner

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

You Are 87% Grown Up, 13% Kid
Your emotional maturity is fully developed, and you have an excellent grasp on your emotions. In fact, you are so emotionally mature - you should consider being a therapist!
How Emotionally Mature Are You?